Rolling forward an engagement creates a new engagement for a new period. The year-end date increases by one year in the new engagement.
You can roll forward an engagement up to four times, giving you up to five prior years of data.
The current year balances from the original engagement is moved to the prior period balance.
- If tax groups are available for the new year, they are updated automatically. If they are not yet available, the current groups and assignments are retained.
Group assignments for accounts in the financial and tax trial balances are retained in the new engagement.
Journal entries are not rolled forward by default. You can select to roll forward journal entries with amounts, without amounts, or reverse the amounts. The roll forward option is in the add/edit journal entry pane and in the roll forward process.
If the client name or the Client ID.Sub ID has changed in the CCH Axcess database since the original engagement was created, the new engagement will use the updated information. The original engagement will remain the same. A message displays if a difference is detected and used in the new engagement.
- You can select which workpapers to roll forward to the next period during the roll forward process. Notes associated with these workpapers will roll forward too, if, prior to starting the roll forward process, you have set to include the note thread in roll forward.
- Workpaper references in the trial balance are retained if you select to roll forward the referenced workpaper.
- If you choose to roll forward journal entries and there are journal entries that include workpaper references, the references will be retained in the new engagement if you also select to roll forward the workpapers linked to those journal entries.
You cannot roll forward an engagement if the trial balance data has not yet been imported or if balances for four or more prior periods exist at this time.
To roll forward an engagement, do the following:
- Click on the navigation bar to go to the Engagement List page.
- Locate the engagement on the Engagement List page.
- Click in the Actions column for the engagement and select Roll forward.
- Enter a name for the new engagement. The engagement name must be unique for the client.
- Click Next.
- For each journal entry, select an option to indicate if journal entry amounts should be rolled forward. By default, journal entries are not rolled forward.
- Do not include. The journal entry is not rolled forward.
- Recurring with same amounts. The journal entry, including amounts, is rolled forward.
- Recurring clear amounts. The journal entry is rolled forward with no amounts.
- Reversing. The journal entry is rolled forward, but with debit and credit amounts reversed.
- Microsoft® Excel® (XLS and XLSX)
- Microsoft® Word (DOC and DOCX)
- Text files (TXT)
All other file formats are set to not roll forward by default.
For Knowledge Coach modules:
- Roll Forward Setting. If there is an updated version of the form, select whether to roll forward the version in the original engagement or to replace it with the updated version.
- Responses. Select whether your responses in each form for the original engagement should be rolled forward or if the responses should be reset.
The new engagement is added to the Engagement List page immediately, but is not accessible until the roll forward process completes successfully. You can view progress information in the status message in the top right of the window, or by hovering your pointer over the information badge next to the new engagement.
If the process fails, the status message in the top right will indicate that you should retry the job, and the newly created engagement is removed from the Engagement List page.